VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2008

From:
nelhatch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 2008 17:47:18 -0600
HATCHER website: http://hatcherfamilyassn.com
HALL DNA project: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~nhatcher/hall/HDNAtest.htm
"If you can't stand the skeletons, stay out of the closet" - Val D Greenwood

And that raises an interesting question, Steve (howdy, dude :-)

When you find someone's file has John Doe, died 1-2-1882, in XYZCo, GA that is......

1) unsourced

and you yourself find on the GA Death Records (perhaps with image of DC) this John Doe, do you give credit to the person whose file you found it on or do you source it to the GA State Archives DC file, complete with Cert#, etc? Did the person whose file you found this on actually have proof of this date or did s/he just copy it from someone else?

or

2) Sourced to the GA State Archives (whether Cert# is given or not)

which means this person took the time to find this (maybe, if s/he isn't just copying it from someone else). Now I personally go into the GA Archives and verify that this person's date is correct. Do you give credit to the person who MAY have found it or do you source this public record to the archive that actually holds this record?

We are talking here about one item of data on one individual and not an abundance of records that have obviously been well-researched by the file owner. Where extensive records are found on an individual that appears obvious is the research of the file owner, I will always give credit to "Steve Stephens" for his work.

But in the single item case (as I outlined above) of a piece of info that can easily be found by me, do you really give credit to him/her whose file you first found it?

Nel