VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2009

From:
"D. Briggs" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 17 Jan 2009 08:48:32 -0500
 Patricia

I looked up in my copy of Charlotte County Rich Indeed and found that there is a Joseph Wood that has a license to run an Ordinary in 1785.? Other Woods noted in the book are General Wood, Charles Wood, David Wood, Henry Wood, Robert W. Wood, Thomas Wood, William Wood, and William D. Wood.

Also in the 1787 Tax list there is a Joseph Wood who is taxed for 1 white male bet. the ages of 16 and 21; 4 blacks over the age of 16; 1 black under the age of 16; 2 horses, colts, mares, or mules; and 13 head of Cattle.

Other Woods shown in the tax list are:? Calwell Wood, John Wood, Sr., John Wood, Jr., Erwin Wood

Of note:
Will Book 2 of Charlotte county shows a will for Thomas Epperson dated September 15, 1891 and probates on October 7, 1805.? He mentions his sister Martha Wood, nephew Carter Wood, wife Martha Epperson, nephews Thomas Atkins and William Atkins.? executor is his wife, Quin Morton and Jacob Morton.? Witnesses to the will are Joseph Wyatt, Elijah Clark and Mary Clark.

 Also in an abstract for Will Book 2 are:

Richard Wood as a witness to the will of William Rowton, Sr. in 1805

There is a will for Mary Wood where she mentions her son John Wood and it appears there are 2 more sons who are not named. (probated 1801)

In 1796 Culwell Wood was a witness to the Will of Thomas Keirsey

I also have Bakers, Cardwells and Legrands in my family tree.? The Elijah Clark mentioned in your query is also mine.

D. Briggs