VA-ROOTS Archives

September 2006

Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2006 14:29:08 EDT
I appreciate so much the helpful suggestions you all offered in searching for
our Brown ancestor who owned a slave market.  Yes, I did check out the
census, but did not know to check the slave schedule. I had not thought of the
advertising, and travel aspects of the job.  I'm checking it all out starting
today!

Marie, Oh how I do wish I did have more information to offer!  The situation
is that my husband's father, Roy Brown, born 1901 or 1902, (even that is in
question) was estranged from his father's family since he was a young child. Roy
did not want to give us family information and when he did much of it was
wrong. On Social Security applications and Navy enlistment papers all different
answers were given.  Some say his Father was unknown.

 Roy's father died in 1908 in an accident.  We have been unable to find out
where, checking out newspapers and  where he was supposedly working. We just
recently found his real name though city directories. He was James Frederick
Brown, but regularly went by the name of Fred Brown.  We don't believe he worked
for the Electric Co as we had been told, but for the streetcar or railroad
line out of Montgomery, Al.  If he worked for the RR, the accident could have
been anywhere!
We have checked death index. Of course Social security was not in at that
time.

 So Roy and his mother and sister were left in poverty and without help from
anyone.
The bitterness was there.  My husband never knew  his aunt, Roy's sister.
Her first name was Inez Brown.  She married young to a navy man.  We canot find
her marriage info. Don't know her married name.

Roy's Mother died in 1919 or 1920. We have her obituary, but no family names
were given. Roy sold newspapers on the corner as a child. He joined the Navy
as young as possible, and advanced to Lieutenant. He retired after 30 years.

The only other data we have is that one of Roy's ancestors had a slave market
and that another was a photographer during the Spanish American War.  It
would mean so much to us to be able to know our family history!

Thank you All for your help!

Sincerely, NancyBrown