VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2009

From:
Bonnie Flythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Dec 2009 12:36:21 -0500
Bill,
This refers to post-Revolutionary legal changes ---  From Inheritance in
America From Colonial Times to the Present by Shammas, Salmon and Dahlin,
1987.

"Virginia, and Maryland to a lesser extent, were also aggressive in defining
the rights of illegitimate children.  Common law rules giving illegitimates
no inheritance rights at all continued in most states after the Revolution.
According to Tapping Reeve, who wrote the first American treatise on
domestic relations, published in 1816, an illegitimate child was "filius
nullius... having no inheritable blook."  As a matter of policy, "to
discourage illicit commerce betwixt the sexes," a child born out of wedlock
could inherit from neither father nor mother unless they included a
provision for the child in their wills.  for the same reason, an
illegitimate child could transmit to no one but spouse and children, "for
all other kindred but his children must be traced through a common ancestor
to him and the relations. But he has no ancestor:  He therefore, can have no
relations in the ascending or collateral line; and if he should die
intestate, without any issue, no person could lay claim to his estate"
Reeve admitted that this reasoning could not apply to a child's mother but
noted that in Connecticut, his own state, the Supreme Court supported the
rule.  Pennsylvania also upheld until 1855.  A virginia inheritance statute
enacted in 1785, however, gave illegitimates the power to inherit from and
transmit to their mothers as though they were legitimate.  Along with
Maryland, Virginia law-makers also gave men the power to legitimize children
by marrying their mothers and acknowledging paternity.  Other than South
Carolina, which acted only to limit the inheritances of illegitimate to no
more than one hundred pounds, other states made no provisions for children
born out of wedlock.
Illegitimate children benefited under the Virginia statute in several ways.
As noted, they became assured of inheriting intestate mothers' property and
of transmitting their own estates to their mothers if they died intestate.
This aspect of the law obviated the necessity of making testamentary
dispositions.  But another aspect of the statutory change was even more
beneficial.  By giving illegitimate children the rights of legal heris,
Virginia lawmakers allowed them to succeed to property through their mothers
as well as from their mothers.  They became the heirs of those who gave
property to women and their legal :issue" or women and their "heirs".  After
1785 in Virginia illegitimate children occupied a place in the line of
succession, alongside the legitimate children of their mothers and ahead of
the mothers' ascendant and collateral relatives.  While children  always had
been able to inherit under specific testamentary bequests, they had never
before been recognized as heirs in the general line of succession."

I don't know how adoption influenced this, but maybe it will help a bit.
Bonnie