VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2003

From:
paul drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
paul drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 2003 12:04:25 -0500
Relayed from Barbara Ekiss, who is unable to post to the site at the moment for whatever reasons.
**********************

There are 2 aspects of research on our ancestors.  The 1st is proving the
genealogy.  That is, proving the connection between generations and dates of
b,m,d.

The 2nd is studying the family history by learning about events that
occurred at the time and place where our ancestors lived and by studying the
family unit in it's relation to the community and county where they resided.

The research techniques used by others definitely help everyone learn to be
a good genealogists.  These should be shared.  However, the genealogy of the
individual list member is of little benefit to all.

The local history of Virginia or a small community in VA during a particular
period of time definitely is of benefit in helping all of us to learn the
family history.  At one time I asked a question about mountain music.  The
response was informative and lively!

I joined this list 8 yrs ago because discussion was active to help me learn
what I needed to know about VA 1790-1850.  I've stayed on this list in hopes
that there will be more discussion on a wide range of topics.  Barb
.
Barbara Ekiss
*******

I surely endorse Barb's comments.  Raw genealogy without historical context is almost nothing, and boring, to boot.   Tell me their names, where they lived, and what they did, and spare me, please, from lists of raw dates and strange names stretching from here to King Cole and his pipers (or whoever).        Paul