VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2007

From:
Jeanne Ackerson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeanne Ackerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2007 12:41:17 -0400
Looking for any information re William B. Scott and who he is descended from.
Below is information I have gathered from my mother's papers from a Wysong
Newsletter dated 1881.  Also found this posted in genforum today "First known
location was Tenth Leigon in Rockingham County, VA, living with a family with
last name of Fraley.  1790 census taken April 13, 14, 1788.  Could not find a
William B. Scott who died in War of 1812.

He had a shop in Franklin Co., VA in which he used bar iron (probably Blac
ksmith).  In June 1812 he accused William Brooks, a neighbor, of stealing some
bar iron from his shop.  The case was thrown out of court.  In August 1812,
William Scott appealed to the court to require a Peace Bond of William Brooks,
who Scott said was threatening him with bodily harm.  By Nov. 14, William
Scott was killed in Norfolk in the War of 1812 and his children were being
bound out.  While the Court Order book only names sons Micajah, William,
James, Sanford and Amos and tells who they were bound to, there is no
mention of Hullum or the girls.  Hullum was born in 1812, so was to young to
be bound out.  In these cases, the young and the girls usually stayed with the
mother.  William A. Burwell was appointed guardian of the children so that
they could collect their claim for their father's services.  This man was a
member of Congress and Thomas Jefferson's private secretary.  Burwell's
estate was still holding money for William Scotts estate as late aas 1824.
Mrs. Mann has written the National Archives again for information on William
Scott's service record because there should be something in the way of
bounty land and money payment to Williams' wife and children.  While there
was no release of dower attached to any deed of sale by Wiolliam Scott, we
know that his wife was Christina Sellers.  He bought 240 acres from Martin
Innion in 1800n and sold 98A to Francis Bell in 1801.  In 1803 he put a 228A in
deed of trust to service a debt.  It was paid off in due time.  In 1804 he sold
225A to William Brizendine.  Where this extra acreage came from it is not
know.  This makes it appear that it came from an inheritance.  By the process
of elimination we are beginning to believe that James Scott was the father our
our William.  James mentions a son William in 1783.  While we have no
documentary proof at this time, we hope to have it by the Oct. 4, 1981
reunion.  This James Scott was a Revolutionary War Soldier from Botetourt
Co., VA.

Thank you.