VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2007

From:
Bill Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2007 08:49:20 -0400
It is my understanding that it was "technically illegal" for someone to obtain
the standard 50 acres of land in the 1600s for "transporting" a person who had
ALREADY been "transported" by someone previously (i.e., a
single "transportee" could not "generate" more than 50 acres).  Is that correct
(or was it only illegal if the SAME land owner obtained a second 50 acres for
HIMSELF for the "transportation" of the same person)?

Note: I understand that such "double (or more) transportations" happened
with some regularity, and that it was very difficult for the government to
prevent such "fraud."

I have a case where a Francis Brown was transported twice into/within the
same county in VA by two different men about a month apart in 1650 (this
was in the area that eventually became Middlesex Co., VA in the 1670s).  To
make this situation particularly interesting, some researchers believe that this
was the SAME Francis Brown who had obtained 500 acres for himself a year
earlier (for transporting 10 persons).

Based on the above, is it likely that we are dealing with two (at least) Francis
Browns, or should I not be so sceptical that this was possibly the same man in
all three cases?  I can accept the "double transporting" of a single man, but it
seems strange to me that a person who obtained and owned 500 acres in
1649 would then be "transported" himself a year later (and as I recall, a
person had three years to "make it or break it" as far as making the land
profitable was concerned).  Comments?  Thanks!