VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2002

From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 15:13:11 EST
In a message dated 2/24/02 2:16:43 PM EST, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< Hi Jo Anna,

 As a native Marylander I have to raise issue with something you wrote ----
 to my knowledge Frederick was never part of Prince Georges County (PG County
 to us natives).  Frederick is west of Baltimore going towards Western MD,
 and PG County is to the south just east of D.C.  Where did you get this
 info?

http://www.rootsweb.com/~mdgenweb/table.htm   This is Maryland county
formation information.
Frederick was indeed formed in 1748 from Prince Georges County.  Montgomery
County was formed in 1776 from Frederick County.    This all makes Prince
Georges County Maryland (and Mongtomery & Frederick Co) research before 1748
covering a VERY large territory.  Fortunately, there are a number of parish
books that are in existence for various parts of the county, not to mention
deeds, etc., which allow the physical placement of families before then.

I have looked carefully at BIRD/BYRD families in PG County Md, so had to
acquaint myself with the formation information.  My target family is in what
is today PG County right across the Potomac from Mt. Vernon.    There is
another Bird family in what is now Montgomery County, but they were living
very close to if not in what is now Washington DC.

PG County MD is sort of like one of the Virginia "megacounties", like Henrico
or Goochland or Prince William or old Rappahannock, that are parents of
smaller counties today, too numerous to count.

FYI, I think that the Birds of Halifax/Lunenberg/Pittsylvania/Franklin
(latter county is today's actual location) may well have come from Maryland.
The main library in PG County Md has very extensive deed, will and court
record microfilms for the 1700s.

Good Luck!!

Janet ( Baugh) Hunter