VA-ROOTS Archives

September 2008

From:
Shelley Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 2008 19:58:43 -0400
 Good evening, I am looking for Mildred Brand, born in Richmond VA, abt. 1825. She married William Davis who was born in PA abt. 1814. On a record of one of their children it lists Mildred's father being from Scotland. Which explains her being listed as a mulatto. Now how the two connected from VA to PA, we do not know. I found the family in Franklin County, PA in the 1850 and 1860 Census, 1870 etc, in Benzie, Michigan. I believe she has a brother named James Brand/Brant also born in VA and lived in PA and relocated to Medina Co. OH and died there. James married Matilda Helman. Any information on the Brand family in VA would be appreciated. Mildred is usually listed as a mulatto, not sure if she was a slave or free, and James passed for white and changed the d in Brand to a t to Brant,? when he arrived in Ohio. Please email with Brand in the subject line to [log in to unmask]
Thank you Shelley

?Know your Roots, They are Long and Strong