VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2001

From:
Elinor Antis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Elinor Antis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2001 11:46:42 -0400
Scott, Jrou wedges is definitely Iron. As Edith said the capital I and J
are really interchangeable. I've forgotten the date but there wasn't even
an "I" in the alphabet for many years. It was one of the last letters added
to our present alphabet. The other word could be pine or fine as Edith also
suggested, but also, possibly sawn meaning it had been sawed into timber
already.  The first letter of a word if it was an "s" often looked like
an "f" to us.  I had thought about what Lee said but I don't believe that
is it. With the possibilities you now have look carefully at the original
and you can probably decide. I've taken many classes in paleography and it
is still not easy. Good luck. Elinor Antis  [log in to unmask]