VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2001

From:
Marilyn Canfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marilyn Canfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 10:16:30 -0600
I have a typed copy of a letter written in Feb 3, 1937 from Lucinda Alley
Dempsey b. ca 1830 d, 1906.
The letter was written to Frances Alley and Nancy Alley , and to Anderson
Alley of Montgomery County VA and she addresses them as Dear Sisters and
Brother: although that could be a "familiar name" rather than a blood name.
The letter mentions "Mother lives with us and is getting old and feeble and
would like to see you all, which she never can do unless you come here." She
invites them visit her.  She mentions Aunt Mary Spaulding died two years ago
and Spaulding married a Lucinda KIrk'

We have identified the Dempsey line in Lawrence/Martin Ky..her husband was
Mark Dempsey..they are buried on the Dempsey land..
We have identified Mary Spaulding as having been married to Fleming
Spaulding in Monroe Co. WVA.

None of the surviving members of the Dempsey family that we have contacted
know who Lucinda's parents were or why she knew of the Montgomery co
Alleys.. James Alley had sisters Nancy and Frances..and a son Anderson.
Frances Alley Allbright married Gasper Allbright and they had daughters
Frances, Nancy , Lucinda and Sarah Jane (which Lucinda's daughter was
named).

We know the children of Thomas and Rebecca Williams Alley of Martin Co. were
close to Lucinda's family and several are buried in the Dempsey cemetery.

We have found no marriage license for Mark and Lucinda..Mark had come from
Logan Co and the Dempsey's have family history.

It is thought Lucinda's parents were a William Alley and an Akers but we
have no information to verify that.

My Alley mentor . who is also an Akers has researched this for years..and we
were finally able to identify the Dempsey line etc. this year.

Would appreciate any input any one might have..our leads have run out..
Please contact me
at [log in to unmask]
Marilyn Canfield