VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2016

From:
"Carole D. Bryant" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Nov 2016 20:24:04 -0400

Will the inter-library loan program still continue?  While this  does not
cover all situations, it is a great help !

 Carole in Maryland

<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> Thank you for  expressing your concern about the Library of Virginia's
closing its reading  rooms on Saturdays and Mondays. As I am sure you can
understand the choices  facing the Library to comply with the 5 percent cut in
its operating budget for  the current fiscal year were not easy. Because the
Library has little  discretionary funding, the reduction had to come from
salaries. And, it is  important to know that cuts were taken from throughout
the Library, not just  from reading room staff.

>> The decision to close the  reading rooms on Saturdays and Mondays was
not made lightly. The Code of  Virginia mandates that the Library of Virginia
be open for such days and hours  each day as may be prescribed for other
state agencies at the seat of government  which is 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday
-Friday.

>> That being  said we are charged with the prudent and wise use of limited
resources. A  sampling of the usage of our resources and visitation to the
Library's reading  rooms shows that Mondays and Saturdays generally had
lower resource usage and  the lowest visitation in the reading rooms, with
Wednesday, Thursday, and  Fridays having the highest.   Beyond that we also see
our support for  research and researchers as more holistic than just access
to collections in the  reading rooms.  We have to think about maintaining our
online resources,  which are expensive but are very popular and heavily
used; processing archival  materials to address a huge backlog of accessioned
records that are not yet  available to users; and digitizing state and local
records to make them more  widely available.  All of those are areas we have
cut heavily in recent  years and to do so again now would also have an
adverse effect on the research  community.

>> Please know that we will share your concerns  with the administration
and members of the General Assembly so that if the  state's funding situation
eases, the Library might be able to receive financial  assistance to restore
our reading room hours.