VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2003

From:
Tucker Ranson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tucker Ranson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 13:32:31 -0500
I'm not sure if I understand either the argument below or in the cited
Native American Inheritance Chart , however:

(1) Would this not also be the case --- if it is the case --- not just in
the Native American example given, but for any genetic inheritance.
According to this argument, as I understand it, after a certain number of
generations one would no longer carry any genetic inheritance ("markers")
from earlier generations. If this were the case, and it we accept the idea
that genealogy = DNA, then it would become irrelevant to search one's
ancestors beyond some critical number of generations. Not that the
intuitive is necessarily correct, this does not seem to make sense.

(2) I am --- like apparently half of Virginia --- a distant descendant of
Pocahontas, among many others. Far less than 1/16th. To me this is not only
a matter of DNA, but also history and culture. If this were not the case,
genealogy would be of little interest to me, and I suspect many others. For
me, genealogy is many things, including a way of understanding myself, my
family and my society.

St. George Tucker Ranson