VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2008

From:
Sunshine49 <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sunshine49 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Nov 2008 22:21:50 -0500
There were 2 types of tobacco grown in Virginia. The finest type was
descended from a type John Rolfe brought up from the Indies. This was
the type that was in demand in Europe. He was really the father of
Virginia tobacco. An inferior type was descended from the coarser
native tobacco. Later in Virginia, after the Revolution, it was
strictly regulated, because they did not want the reputation of
Virginia tobacco to suffer from selling the inferior type. Tobacco
had to be inspected at warehouses in certain towns [Richmond was
one], by tobacco inspectors. Farmers in some eastern counties who
grew the coarser type were so squeezed out of the market that at one
point they rioted and set fire to the local tobacco warehouses.

Nancy

-------
I was never lost, but I was bewildered once for three days.

--Daniel Boone