VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2007

From:
Katie Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Katie Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2007 07:45:45 -0800
Below is an exchange I had with Brent Tarter at the Library of Va when I thought I would be able to make the trip down to Richmond this month.

  I have two death records on which I need to get as much info as possible in order to expeditiously obtain actual copies or transcriptions (moan) of the death records from BVS (I want to make their job simple).  From whatever records (LVA or BVS) I hope to get better dates of birth & death, parents' names and places of birth, ancestry, location at time of death etc.  But right now, anything, even if just the Death Record number, I can get will be helpful to go the next step.  If I have to go the newspaper route, I will; but I hope to get something from BVS if pertinent information is not in these microfilmed indices at the LoV.

  Francis Jordan
  DOD 1856 at around age 56
  most probably Norfolk City as that is where he is buried

  Nicholas M. (or W.) Tarrall
  DOD 1850s (sorry, he was alive in 1850 and gone by the 1860 Census)
   some records indicate he was born in 1810 but it may have been earlier
  most probably Norfolk City as that is where he is buried and probably from Yellow Fever based on the time period

  If you plan to be in Richmond, or live there, and would be willing to do two lookups for me, please contact me off list: [log in to unmask]

  Katie Holland
  Silver Spring, MD
  just barely outside Washington, DC

Brent Tarter <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
      Katie,

  We have microfilm of the birth, marriage, and death registers for 1853-1896, but I think that the original documents remain at BVS. There are corresponding series of records for some of the counties and cities, which are available on microfilm here, too, and filed with the local records. All of those series are out in the public microfilm area in the main reading room.

  The Library of Virginia is open from 9:00 to 5:00 Monday through Saturday, state and federal holidays excepted. There is free underground parking accessable from Eight and Ninth Streets. The new building is on the north side of East Broad Street between Eight and Ninth, where the bus stations were in the olden days.

  Brent