VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2005

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jul 2005 15:39:00 -0500
>  Paul
>  This is such a timely topic for me.  At the moment, I am trying to put
>  together an interesting family book.  But the layout is driving me nuts!
>
>  I am one of 24 cousins.  We are united by our grandparents, who had 8
>  surviving children; who then had the 24 grandchildren.  I am trying to do
> a  book on just our common grandmother.  I have completed the lineage for 5
>  generations of this grandmother's ancestors.

I understand, and can only say again that the best and time-proven
approach is to write of your direct ancestors, from your parents back, or
from the earliest in that line down to you, develop the story about those
folks, and then - probably a tad later - develop the collaterals.  So, take
that GMaw, develop her story throughout her life, then next do her child
who is your parent, then and only then move to the siblings of GMaw and
then the siblings of your parent.

 Considering the large number of folks in that line, I would develop many,
 if not most, of those collaterals in your appendices.  You simply must
 limit and set forth each generation in such a fashion that even the most
 casual reader will be able to follow your thread and find it interesting.
 Paul