VA-ROOTS Archives

September 2007

From:
Yvonne and Steve <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yvonne and Steve <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2007 00:27:37 -0400
Hi Barbara,

We currently offer the Dinwiddie Personal Property Tax Lists for 1782-1790,
1800-1813 and 1814-1819. We are missing the 1791-1799 lists but we will be
scanning those in the next month or so to fill in the gap. The information
listed below is typical of what can be derived from looking at several
consecutive years of tax list information.

You mentioned a move about 1800 so we looked at our 1800-1813 tax lists for
any Stephen that was there and when he disappeared. These Stephen's could
possibly be eliminated since they are present after 1800. It is difficult to
tie in any people from the 1782-1790 tax lists to these people from the
1800-1813 tax lists because of the 9 year gap.

Some Stephen's listings say "son of" while other listings are a Stephen that
is charged to someone else. We are inclined to think that this someone else
is probably a father, a mother, or a brother. This is what we found:

Stephen (of Thomas): 1800-1804
Stephen (of Eppes and Ann): 1800-1810
Stephen (of Joshua): 1801-1807
Stephen (of Abraham): 1801-1804
Stephen F (of Daniel): 1802-1809

These Stephen's stayed in Dinwiddie until 1804 to 1810. It depends on when
your Stephen really moved if you can eliminate these Stephen's and their
probable father as listed above. I am sure that our missing tax list years
would help create an earlier Stephen history and may help reveal a father's
name. But this is what we found.

Steve and Bunny
Binns Genealogy CD Series
http://www.BinnsGenealogy.com/