VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2003

Date:
Sat, 19 Apr 2003 09:18:57 -0500

> Thus, good research does not permit us EVER to infer WHEN a person
> arrived based upon the date his or her headright was exchanged for
> land - "cashed in". The subject is not complicated, but we must
> remember that the person who owned the headright may have never
> even
> seen, known of, much less been acquainted with the person who
> actually transported the servant. Paul

Mornin', Paul. Catching up on my mail while I fuel up on my first cup of
coffee and I'm thinking I just wandered into the middle of a conversation
I know very little about but have been counting on what I think I know
for a number of assumptions I've been operating on.
What's been stuck in my head about headrights is that the 50 acres per
isn't granted until 7 years after the uhmm 'transportee' was transported.
[This to assure the would-be citizen "stuck" in order to populate the
colony, I supposed.]
I've collected a number of these weird things (in surveyor-speak, I'll
bet) from the web and I'm hoping it's not rotten research for me to
assume from the following patent that these guys
-Edm. Marshall, John Fludd, Edm. Tedmund/Edmunds?, Samll. Cattan, William
Russell, Willm. Savadge, Richard Browne, Edward Buderhill-
- arrived here at least by 1641.
What say ye?
Cynthia, having a panic-attack in Wales Wisconsin
Surrey County
typ patent
ref Virginia Patent Book 2 p146-147
dat 3 Jul 1648
decl -5
to Thomas Woodhouse
re 400a Neare the head of the Northermost br. of Smiths Fort Cr. in James
City County
!bounded Vizt
con Transp. of 8 persons
!Assigned Unto him by Thomas Warren whose Names are
!Edm. Marshall, John Fludd, Edm. Tedmund/Edmund,
!Samll. Cattan, William Russell, Willm. Savadge,
!Richard Browne, Edward Buderhill
loc 41882 -65276 F127 L0 P255
pt A) along the trees of John Watkins
!begining at the Maine branch runing NxE 100 Chaines
ln NxE; 200p; John Watkins
pt B) NExE 121 Chaines
ln NExE; 242p;
pt C) NW 60 Chaines