VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2001

From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 06:15:42 EDT
Good Morning Everyone,

I recently came across information that Point of Rocks Park on the Appomatox
in Chesterfield Co between routes 95 and 295, is located at least partially
on the "Cobbs" Plantation site, which was first patented by Ambrose Cobbs,
land later went to the Burtons 1650s or so, then to John Bolling and Mary
Kennon ca 1704, and they started the "Red Bollings", descendants of
Pocohantos.  On the east side of Cobbs' original patent lived Abraham Wood,
and John Baugh and descendants were on the west side.  Indeed I do believe my
gg grandfather Archibald Bolling Baugh was named after these neighbors.  I do
believe that the Bollings gobbled up a good portion of the Baugh land later,
but not all of it.

At this Cobbs website it says "An archealogical survey was done of the
property prior to development, and those plats and maps are available in the
Virginia State Archives."
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~cobb/ambrose.htm (A map of the
park's location is here for all those soccer and softball players at the
park!   http://echesterfield.com/soccer/fields/por.jpg, and some pictures are
here:  http://www.cvfo.org/locations_parks_and_open_areas.htm).

My question is:  What exactly is involved in an "archaelogical survey".
Would the plats/maps show a history of land ownership like a deed search, or
simply identify the location of important historical "markers", old home
sites, etc that might still be there?  Obviously I am wondering if there
might be mention of the Baughs.

Also, I made an attempt to find where this might be at the LVA's website, but
was unsuccessful.  I am curious if someone could provide advice on that score
as well.

Thanks in advance,

My best regards,
Janet (Baugh) Hunter