VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2003

From:
William Lassetter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Lassetter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 May 2003 09:56:46 -0400
To All,

I speak as one who has put little into genealogical research, and has little to show for
it.   Still, on these imperfect grounds for giving advice I will proceed.   I would
certainly not consider passing the accumulated genealogical treasure down through members
of the family.   Its ultimate survival would depend on an unbroken chain of interest
through future generations.

The obvious place to which it should be entrusted is the most enduring institution that is
accessible to you - a genealogical records repository in a national or state library.   I
don't know that there is such a thing;   but if there's not, there should be.   (Maybe
that's where you can have your last hurrah!).   Your records, maybe to your chagrin, may
command only a humble and little seen corner of that repository, but you will know that as
long as the nation endures, so will your records;   and at those times in the future when
there is interest in them, they will be there and accessible, and can be enlarged and
refined.

Forgive me my presumption and good luck.

William Lasssetter
Charlottesville, Va.