VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2002

Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 07:03:23 EST
Like Gayle Garrett in her kudos to the Binns, I can't get past a certain period to even get to the help offered by these wonderful people.  Would anyone have any suggestions where I could look?  Here's the problem, in the 1860 Norfolk (city) Census Nicholas Tarrall is listed as age 50, along with his wife, Anne F and their children (my ancestor of their children is Henry Alberti).  Nicholas is listed on his son's 1909 death certificate as having been born in Va (as is Anne) as well as on this Census record (where his last name is spelled incorrectly as Terral - a spelling used again on his granddaughter's birth record, Sarah Anne, my paternal grandmother's maternal grandmother).  I have literally spent a week in the DAR Library collection of census records and have methodically gone through all VA available censuses without locating him earlier than the Norfolk 1860 (not easy, not many, not giving up too much info either).  I do know he is buried in Cedar Grove Cemetery in Norfolk (no info on the interment card).  So does anyone have a suggestion where I can find out more of his birthplace, parents etc which would then allow me to delve into the works of the Binns?

Thanks, Katie Holland in Washington, DC