VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2006

Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2006 15:56:08 EST
Our family also had the Indian legend. It was disproved by census, wills ,
deeds, etc. Like you, some family members always pointed out "Indian
"characteristics in various cousins. Photographs of gg grandmother seemed to show a
feather in her hair, actually close examination indicated that it was the tie of a
snood, a popular hair net during th 1860s. Her brother in his Civil War
uniform had leather thongs in his ear lobes. Tribal insignia? His Union pension
record describes the severe eye itroubles he had, so his captain pierced his ears
( a sure cure for pink eye??) and strung thread or string thru the hole. Some
family members have been driven to tears when the legend gets de bunked. As to
DNA it is useful if you have a well researched genealogy and you can link up
with another male with a well researched genealogy. I'm all for it.    There
are 2 Diggs/Digges DNA tests that have been done with 2 different lines
resulting. So it would be interesting to see what other Diggs dna is out there.