VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2006

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2006 21:24:23 -0500
--- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 8:02 PM
Subject: Re: [VA-SOUTHSIDE-L] Fw: Processioning`

I have notes from Processioners' Reports from Mecklenburg County, Virginia, for 1845, 1849, 1857 and 1872.  Those reports are on microfilm at the Library of Virginia. The 1872 report for the area of Mecklenburg County for which I have interests is extremely faint and hard to read.  I went to the Library of Virginia website to try to find the specific citation for the microfilm and was unable to find it.  The reports are on microfilm with other records and may not have been indexed separately.

The LDS index of materials for Mecklenburg County, Virginia, shows the title as "Processioners Reports, 1845-1872"; Library of Virginia microfilm, without specific reference to a reel number.  I will be at the Library of Virginia this week and will make note of the specific reel number.

Hobson Wright

Thanks MUCH, Hobson, George, Dr. Bill, Craig, and Teresa.  I have the feeling, Hobson, that the Mecklenburg reports to which you refer were not "processioning" in the same sense as those we find in the Anglican vestry minutes.  Processioning was an ancient term, known for centuries in England and the colonies, was a part of the several semi-governmental duties of the parishes, and fell into disuse and from view only gradually as the church faded and surveying became ever more accurate and more available in the outback counties.

I think that by the period of which you speak - 1840s - those reports were records of surveyors who yet used that term, just as they continued with the ancient term "perambulating"; that, despite the fact that by that period boundaries quite usually were by "metes and bounds" or "courses and distances".  As in Mecklenburg, I do find this same old usage in surveyors' descriptions and in deeds in NC and TN well into the 20th Century.

I believe that much confusion has been brought to the genealogical researcher through the erroneous suggestions by some that after 1775 there was no Anglican Church here.

That simply is not true.  Though the VA legislature then ordained that VA would not have an established religion, to follow that discipline and liturgy was NOT rendered illegal. So it was that congregations continued as Anglican here and there before finally sputtering out by the early 1790s.

It also may be said that by 1795 most of such "churches" that followed the old style converted to or were melded into "Protestant Episcopal", though surely not all, some having become Methodist and Baptist and still other disciplines.

You all have helped with the thinking of each of us.  Thanks.

Thanks. Paul
  --