VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2003

From:
"sylvia o. rowe" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
sylvia o. rowe
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 2003 23:11:12 -0400
-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Virus Alert from Fairfield
Date:   Tue, 8 Jul 2003 15:30:00 -0400
From:   Fairfield <[log in to unmask]>
To:     <[log in to unmask]>

Sorry everybody, but we apparently picked up a virus somewhere.  I found the
file on our computer, but I don't know if it got sent to anybody.  The virus
is called jdbgmgr.exe.

This is the message I recieved about this virus:
It is not detected by Norton or McAfee antivirus systems.  It sits quietly
for 14 days before damaging the system.  It is sent automatically by
messenger and by the address book, whether or not you sent e-mail to your
contacts.

Here is how to check for the virus and how to get rid of it:

1. Go to start, Find or search option.

2.In the file folder option, type the name jdbgmgr.exe

3.Be sure to search your C: drive and all subfolders and any other drives
you may have

4.Click "find now"

5.The Virus has a Teddy Bear icon with the name jdbgmgr.exe DO NOT OPEN
IT!!!

6.Go to Edit (on the menu bar) and choose "select all" to the highlight the
file without opening it.

7.Now go to File (on the menu bar) and select delete.  It will then go to
the Recycle Bin.

8.IF YOU FIND THE VIRUS YOU MUST CONTACT ALL THE PEOPLE IN YOUR ADDRESS
BOOK, SO THEY CAN ERADICATE IT IN THEIR OWN ADDRESS BOOKS.

a. Open a new e-mail message

b. Click on the icon of the address book next to the "TO"

c.Highlight every name and add to "BCC" (blind copy)

d.Copy this message and paste to e-mail.

Sorry about the inconvience.

David A. Brown and Thane Harpole
Co-Directors
Fairfield Foundation, Inc.