VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2011

From:
jwterry99 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jun 2011 11:22:14 -0500
My understanding is that taxes were paid at age 21.  There were exceptions
for Constables and other categories that didn't pay taxes.  One clue to the
age and to find the father that I always use is that the father paid taxes
for white tithables as of age 16.  In a couple of counties, I checked each
year's personal property tax lists for the years' prior to when a person
first paid taxes to find their father.  It worked for me in Brunswick and
King William Counties during the time frame from 1782 to about 1830 (I
didn't need to go more recently).  Some years have other tax records that
are also helpful.  The records for many counties are available from the LDS
microfilm collection, including these two.
Jim Terry