VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2004

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Oct 2004 15:46:01 -0500
I have been asked to again pass along the details of the one (1) full day seminar in Courtland, Southampton Co., VA next Saturday, Oct 16th.  The day will be dedicated to seeking out VA records to be found in the courthouses and other local and area sources and archives, and with "how-to" solve some of your "brick walls".  Particular emphasis will be given to church/parish records, deeds, land, taxes and tithe records, "loose papers", and an hour will be spent by all in learning to draw the boundaries of ancestral lands from early deed descriptions.

Bruce, Joe, Pat Holland, and Mary Beth have scoured Southampton and several of the neighboring counties and will be prepared to speak of the many, many research sources to be found in Southside.  Equally, important, they also will speak of what is NOT to be found locally and thus must be sought elsewhere.  We think that all will benefit from their in-depth search for every record to be found locally in the southern VA counties.

The event is sponsored by the Southampton County Historical Society and the Rawls Library (22511 Main St., Courtland, Va.), and will be held at that Library in Courtland.  We will commence at 9:30 AM and continue till 4:00+.  We suggest you arrive near 9:00 for registration, and be sure to bring your lunch and a drink.  Coffee will be available.  Though we do not speak of money on these websites, all should know that the price is very modest, and the text, though not required, is advised and will be for sale at the desk.

Please notify Bruce Saunders for more information and of your intention to attend at [log in to unmask] or by phone at 757-562-4403.  You are always free to call me at 931-484-9129 and to email me at <[log in to unmask]>

Hope to see and meet you there.  Paul