VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2008

From:
Madaline Preston <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Madaline Preston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 2008 14:57:14 -0500
Fellow list members:

I think I'm making a career out of trying to find Virginia pension records
for the Rev. War.

First I Googled this subject.

I got Access Genealogy (Footnote.com) which states at the top of the
page....."Free Genealogy Resource."

However, when I found my man using the Search, it says I have to join to get
a copy.  Wouldn't be so bad except there are multiple pages for William
Milburn in Virginia without notation as to region.

So, I went to National Archives and clicked on American Revolution then
Search Documents Online.  Next I clicked on the lovely icon for
Revolutionary War Claims.  Got to Case Files of Pension and Bounty Land
Warrants, scanned down the list to Online Resource URL and guess what, it
sends you to Footnote.  An hour later and I'm back where I started from.

I also went to LOV, What We Have and then Revolutionary War Virginia State
Pensions<http://ajax.lva.lib.va.us/F/?func=file&file_name=find-b-clas62&local_base=CLAS62>
and
put in Milburn.  Nothing!

Surely many of you have been down this road and perhaps could save me
frustration.  Any hints for success among the viewers on this list for
finding copies of pension files?  I'm  missing something, somewhere.

Thanks for even reading alllll of this.
M. Preston