VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2000

From:
Lou Poole <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lou Poole <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 20:57:33 -0600
The answer to this question is sure to be of interest to more
researchers than just me...

I have a relative who supposedly registered as a conscientious
objector in World War I.  I seem to recall from more recent times that
there was in fact such a formal "registration" required.  In such a
case, who were such men (and now to include women) required to
register with, and how might I find a record confirming this
information?  Was this purely a local "registration," or was it done
at the state level, or at the national level?  Does the US Government
keep this information, and where?

Thanks for any insight or information that anyone might have.

Lou Poole