VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2000

Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 17:08:12 EST
While I am in the genie's court as regards open-ness of public records, I
will relay
this story--partly humor, partly not...
In 1963 while a grad student at the U of Illinois, I went over to the court
house in
Urbana to look at some Champaign County records.
I was stopped dead in my tracks by a stern employee and told in no uncertain
terms
that genealogists were denied access to ANY of the county records...Why?
The Abe Lincoln briefs and other items had begun to disappear.
SO...the only ones who were permitted to view them now -- were attorneys...
Smirk, smirk...think that has now been changed, tho.  Erik P Conard--Denver