VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2004

From:
Lynda de Nijs <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lynda de Nijs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 18:59:34 -0400
Anita-- "Dressed for the Photographer: Ordinary Americans & Fashion,
1840-1900" by Joan Severa is a fascinating study of the dress of the period
for men, women, children, and servants. The best part is not only the
wonderful pictures but the description of how the clothing would have been
made and how that helps to date the period when the photo was taken. See if
you can get it on an interlibrary loan if your own local library does not
have it. Best regards, Lynda de Nijs