VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2019

From:
"Wilson, Donald L" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 2019 23:21:20 +0000
EXPLORE RELIC

August 2019 - The Ruth E. Lloyd Information Center for Genealogy and Local History (RELIC)

Start your historical journey here. RELIC's email newsletter highlights upcoming free events and happenings. Genealogy and local Virginia history is our specialty as a service provided by the Prince William Public Library. We're located at Bull Run Regional Library and you can always find more about us at www.pwcgov.org/library/relic<http://www.pwcgov.org/library/relic>

Finding Your Italian Ancestry.

Genealogist Russell DeRose gives guidance on finding and using Italian records for your family history. He will cover relevant resources both in Italy and the USA.

Wednesday, August 7, 2019, 2:00-3:30 p.m.

Repeats:  Tuesday, August 27, 2019, 7:00-8:30 p.m.

Deciphering atDNA Testing*

DNA testing for family history is all the rage. Maybe you are curious, maybe you already have your results. Are you asking yourself, now what? In this presentation by genealogist Shannon Combs-Bennett learn how to decipher your autosomal DNA through online tools and case studies.

Thursday, August 15, 2019, 11:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m.

RELIC INSIDER:

DNA TESTING - A PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.

By Don Wilson

Since late 2016 I have bought and used several DNA tests.  For FamilyTreeDNA I swabbed the inside of my cheek to get genetic material.  For Ancestry DNA I spit into a vial (quite a lot of spit was required).  One year I gave my siblings the FTDNA test.  Depending on the promotion, the tests now run about $50 to $80 for the autosomal ("Family Finder") test.  I have not tried the kits from 23&Me or MyHeritage.  A few weeks after returning each kit, the results were posted on the vendor's website.

The autosomal test in Ancestry and FTDNA will match you up with biological relatives --people who have an ancestor in common with you.  You only see results for other people if they share DNA with you and if they allow you to see their results.  The vendors also estimate how close the relationship is.

Both vendors tell you how many centiMorgans (cM) of DNA you and your cousins share.  The larger the number, the closer the relationship.  FTDNA shows the number of segments and the size of the largest segment you have in common; they also show you a chromosome "browser" which allows you to compare individual chromosomes and learn where matching segments lie.  That may help you determine which branch of your family the person matches.  FTDNA also can tell you which matches have common ancestry with your other matches, or which of your matches do not match with other matches.  This will also help you sort out possible kinship.

Ancestry DNA is probably a bit more user friendly, though they don't give you as much technical data.  In addition to shared cM they also count the number of matching segments.

Both companies show you maps estimating your deep ancestral origins.  FTDNA gave me "ethnic makeup" of 18 percent from the British Isles, 75 percent from west and central Europe, 2 percent from Iberia (Spain and Portugal), 4 percent from Asia Minor (Turkey), and less than 1 percent from east central Africa and North and Central America.  Ancestry

==========

NEXT MONTH

Genealogy 101 [at Chinn Park Regional Library]

Discovering your family's history is both fun and rewarding. RELIC's Darlene Hunter, Certified Genealogist, will demonstrate the essential first steps to take and resources to use, most of which are available for free through the library, to ensure that your research is accurate and well documented.

Thursday, September 5, 2019, 7:00-8:30 p.m.

Genealogy Roundtable.
Discuss the challenges of your family research in a group environment and get tips for new approaches. Moderated by RELIC's Don Wilson.

Thursday, September 12, 2019, 2:00-3:30 p.m.

The DNA Guide for Adoptees.

Adoptees can search for answers easier than ever before. Brianne Kirkpatrick and Shannon Combs-Bennett present their new book which will teach you to use genealogy and genetics to uncover your roots, connect with your biological family and better understand your medical history.

Thursday, September 19, 2019, 7:00-8:30 p.m.

George Mason: The Statesman.

George Mason drafted the Virginia Declaration of Rights in 1776 which later served as the basis for the U.S. Bill of Rights. Yet, he refused to sign the U.S. Constitution in 1787. Tom Moncure speaks on the reluctant statesman's strength of character and role in forming this government.

Thursday, September 26, 2019, 7:00-8:30 p.m.

To read the latest lists of new materials available please click on What's New in RELIC http://www.pwcgov.org/government/dept/library/pages/relic-news.aspx

Unless otherwise stated, all of the preceding programs will take place at Bull Run Regional Library, 8051 Ashton Avenue, Manassas, Virginia.  Programs may last from 60 to 90 minutes.  Funding for selected RELIC programs is provided by the Friends of Bull Run Library.*   You may register for any of these free programs at 703-792-4540 or email to: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.  You may also register online at RELIC Programs http://www.pwcgov.org/government/dept/library/pages/relic-programs.aspx