VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2006

From:
Jack Fallin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jack Fallin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2006 11:13:57 -0700
Dear List,

Thanks to Paul for his kindly reference to the link discussing how
unexpected good things can come from lpostings scattered around the
web.  It is undoubtedly true, but those happy events are nearly
balanced by the frustration of picking up a post that really fits
your search, only to find out that the e-address given is long out of
date.

But let's go to Ireland and Virginia, I mean pre-1700 Virginia.  I
recently put a post regarding my desire to share notes with others
looking at early Irish immigrants on my local (Northumberland) web
list, only to be greeted with a long silence.  Leaving me to wonder
if all the clearly Irish surnames from those early years had defected
to parts unknown or, worse yet, had degenerated into non-
genealogists. Outside the list, I've had good contact with some
Westmoreland McCarty descendants, so I know I'm not completely
alone.  In any event,  this may be one of those searches that really
does fit our larger, all Virginia, list.  Here's my bit on early
Irish immigration (forgive my own family references -- they are
intended just as an example), coupled with a request to hear from any
others working similar issues:

PRE-1700 IRISH INQUIRY:

Thanks to all the work by others, I have no real gaps my own,
FALLIN,  line. While I've been able to add a few post-arrival
entries, my main effort has been in trying to identify pre-migration
origins.

Our first real VA record is a land purchase by our Charles
"Fallon" (the Fallin spelling didn't take over until about the 2nd
generation) in 1671 Northumberland County. Fallon, Fallin, Fallen
etc. are all variations on a Gaelic Irish surname ( "Ua Fallamhain").
Pre-1700, the clan lived and owned property in a very specific area
of Ireland that included the City of Athlone and the area between
that town and Galway City, primarily in County Roscommon. This sort
of information is available for most "propertied" Irish families of
the time (indeed the records can be far more extensive than those
availabe after the English finished breaking up nearly all the
Catholic, (both Gaelic and Anglo-Norman), holdings).  But, of course,
my "evidence" is purely circumstantial for genealogical purposes,
only slightly better are a number of tantalizing, but timely,
references to Fallin, Fallon and Fallan in the fragmented records of
the West Indies. My current best guess is that the family's migration
came through Galway, an Atlantic port city, proceeded through the
West Indies (most likely Montserrat and Barbados), and thence to
Northumberland County.

But we were not alone. There are a number of Northumberland County,
Lancaster County [and other Virginia] names from 1700 and earlier
that are also of uniquely Irish origin. Additionally, there are names
that were originally English (or more properly Norman) but by the
1600s were more prominent in Catholic Ireland than in England. I may
be able to help researchers for these families in finding a path back
to Ireland, and, along the way we may find some common patterns that
help all of us:

IRISH IN NORTHUMBERLAND COUNTY (1679)
(drawn from the list of 1679 Tithables so ably discussed and defined
by Thomas A. Wolf in the 2005 NCHS Bulletin, pp. 24- 35)

Dennis CONOWAY: Gaelic - Mac Conmhaigh, Mac Conmidhe, Mac Conbhul.
Currently most common in Counties Mayo, Kilkenny and Limerick. Dennis
was, at the time, an almost uniquely Irish given name.

James CREAN: Gaelic - Ó Corraidin, Curraoin, Ó Croidheáin. Most
common in Counties Roscommon and Mayo.

Walter DUNN: Gaelic - Ó Duinn. Most common in Counties Laois, Kildare
and Kilkenny.

Walter GRADY: Gaelic - Ó Grádaigh. Most common in Counties Clare,
Limerick and Cork.

William KEENE [more commonly KEANE]: Gaelic - Ó Catháin, Ó Céin. most
common in Galway and Mayo.

Charles Vallond [FALLON]: Gaelic - Ó Fallamhain (Fallúin). Most
common in County Roscommon.

In addition to those  Gaelic-based names, the 1679 List also includes
a number of names that by 1679 had been in Catholic Ireland so long
as to make it definitely one of their possible points of origin.
Those include: BARRY, BRERETON, EUSTAS, EVERARD, GILL, HARROLD,
JOICE, JONES, MOORE, RICE, ROACH.

IRISH IN LANCASTER COUNTY (1700)
(Drawn from Rootsweb's transcription of 1700 Tithables in Lancaster
County, http:/www.rootsweb.com [tilde] valancas/tiths1700.html; I
haven't yet tracked the specific Gaelic versions of these names)

Peter KILGORE: Counties Derry, Tyrone
Hugh KELLEY: Widespread across southern Ireland.
John KELLEY: Ibid.
Edwin CONWAY: Also now widespread.
Denis ONEALE: As [O' Niel,O' NEALE] one of the most prominent of
Ulster, Irish Gaelic names, now widespread.
George HEALE [if originally HEALY]: Ulster, Munster.

The other Lancaster County names that are as likely to be Irish as
British are:
BUCKLEY, ROGERS, [Darby] DONAWAY, LAWRY.

I'm sure analysis would yield similar numbers for many other
Counties.  I'd very much like to hear from listers working any Irish-
named families as to whether they have information pointing to (or
perhaps more aptly, away) from Ireland and perhaps we can uncover
some pattern. Following on the heels of Cromwell's ravaging of
Catholic Ireland, migration of propertied families in the mid-1600s
generally accords with a "big" historic pattern, but its the smaller
connections that may lead to something definite.

Jack Fallin

Walnut Creek, CA