VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2006

From:
qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2006 15:52:34 -0800
 I do not know the answer to the query re copyrights to an old photo, but I thought I'd read recently  that the photographer automatically retains the rights to all photos he/she took --even though permission may have been given for others to use them.  True?  False?  A bit of both?

  And IF it is true, what happens when the photographer dies?  Who can claim rights?  The cousin who finds the photo in an old trunk?    The researcher who is not related?
  At what point --if at all-- does the photo enter the public domain?

  Joanne

   [log in to unmask] wrote:
  I would check the publication to see if the
author gives credit for the image to another
party or if he quotes that he has the permission from
another party to use the image.

The author of the book you own may not have
the copyright to the image.