VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2013

From:
Charlie&Sue Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jun 2013 23:10:10 -0400
What about my husband's situation?   He's a Wilson.  He's done the Y-DNA
test and FTDNA's family finder test.  On y-DNA, he matches very few
Wilsons.  One is a known 3rd cousin.  None of the matches had known
ancestors living in places where his ancestors lived.   His earliest
known Wilson ancestor is Benjamin Wilson, b. ~1770 somewhere in VA.  Our
best hypothesis now is that Benjamin Wilson is son of John Wilson, d.
1809 in Brunswick Co.,  VA.  But the DNA matches to his 37 marker test
and his cousin's 111 marker test are mostly Ireland and Downing surnames.
 There are matches in Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Australia in
addition to the US.  Our best guess on this is that the common location
is probably Northern Ireland before surnames were used.

The family finder or autosomal DNA is more difficult to enterpret.  For
most of the matches, we can't figure out where the link is.  It appears
that the ones labeled 2d to 4th cousin could even be 5th cousins, and so
on.   We did have one success.  One woman who matched was adopted.  She
knew when and where she was born.  My husband had one cousin's family in
the area of her birth at the time she was born.  The family had 2 boys
and 1 girl.  The younger boy was about the right age to be her father.
And he was in the Navy, and the adoptee had been  told that her father
was in the Navy.  His older brother was in the Army.  And her postulated
father was still living.  Our second close to success is another adoptee.
 Again we had only one cousin family in the area where he was born at the
time he was born.  The adoptee was told that his mother was from one
foreign country and his mother was an American Indian.  My husband had
also heard stories that his family was part American Indian (they look
Indian, but we have found no Indian ancestry),   and it was the part
living in the area where this adoptee was born.  We would need to confirm
that this family had a daughter born at the right time to be his mother.
Then they can confirm their relationship by additional DNA tests.

Some people claim success with autosomal DNA by matching parts of
chromasome strings.  I haven't been able to figure out how to so this.

Sue Wilson