VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2002

Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 21:05:41 EST
Greetings,
I am seeking information on an Afro-American Nannie Chandler & co,
b. abt 1835,  d. 9/10/1921 in Halifax Co Va.
Nannie's Death Certificate listed her mother as Josie/Jasie.

Nannie always listed as single, had the following children:

1. Mary W. b. 1858

2. Richard b. abt 1866, m. 1-17-1885 to Bettie Leigh
  b. abt 1863

3. James Thomas (my g-father) b. abt 1866, d. 1/19/1933,
  m. 3-25-1885 to Lucy Lacy b. abt. 1862
 On the Death Cert. of James Thomas, his father was listed as, Bill
 Byrd.

4. Jocey/Joicy Ann b. 4/1867, info on birth provided to authorities by
 Adolphus  Chandler,  employer of mother Nannie.   Jocey m. may 12, 1885
  to Henry Easley.

5. Emma b. 1870
6. Sarah b. 1874 m. Vincent Jones
7. Hallie V. b 1877 m dec 12 1914 to Matthew Younger

There seems to have been a possible connection between  Nannie, her son
James Thomas, a white Adolphus Chandler, black Susan Bird/Byrd and the son
of Susan, William Bird/Byrd, of Halifax Co Va.

In the 1850 Census There was a white man named Adolphus  Chandler,
listed as having 7 slaves.

In 1850 there were listed Free Blacks :
Melunia/Melvnia Bird, 29y & Susan Bird, 30y & William W. Bird, 3y
===============

In the 1860 Census I found  White Adolphus Chandler, 45y,
  with 6 slaves, $1,400 in Real Estate, $1,200 in pers. prop.
  Living in the same house were Free Blacks,
  Melunia/Melvinia Byrd, 40y $100 in Real Estate, $50 in pers. prop.
  Susan Byrd, 40y & Susan Byrd, 8 mos.

William Bird/Byrd, son of Susan, now 14years old, is living 9 houses away
with a Thomas Gallimore.
==========
In 1870, I found neither Adolphus or Nannie Chandler.
I did find Melunia/Melvinia living with Susan and two female children, Jennie
and Susan. Susans son William Byrd was living elsewhere with with his wife
Mariah.

In 1880, Nannie is living with her 8 children. Next door is our William
Byrd/Bird, widowed with 3 children.

---
Adolphus Chandler was listed as the employer of Nannie Chandler when Nannie
gave birth to her daughter Joicy/Jocey Ann in 1867.

Adolphus Chandler died in Dec 15, 1872 from Pneumonia. There was no wife
listed, his parents were Hardaway Chandler, and Elizabeth D. Fulkerson
Chandler. Siblings of Adolphus were, Maria, Judith & David. Adolphus appears
to have had no children.

Any help out there?
Larry