VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2003

From:
jhwatkins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
jhwatkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Oct 2003 15:20:48 -0500
To the list:

I hope someone with knowledge of law and old Virginia documents can give me
some ideas.

I have a will written 12 Sept. 1786, probated 1 Jan. 1787, Charlotte CO., VA.
There is a marginal notation as follows:

"At a court held for Charlotte County the 6th day of Novemher 1826 on the
motion of James Lawson who makes oath according to law, Certificate is
granted him for obtaining letters of administration on the estate of the
said George Lawson, dcd  (can't read:  looks like "de bornision"--is
separated but could be one word)  with the will annexed upon entering into
bond with Security whereupon he with  (five names)  his securities entered
into and acknowledged their bond according to law for that purpose.

                       Teste:  Winslow Robinson  C

The writing is poor, broad pen, few t's crossed, etc., and the notation is
made by a different clerk than the one who recorded the will.  I acquired
it at Charlotte Court House.  If I could see more of his writing maybe I
could figure it out.  I am not sure if it is pertinent to my question or not.

The question:  With the will probated in 1787, why is it that this notation
regarding letters of administration doesn't occur until 1826, almost 40
years later??

Does this mean the estate has not yet been settled?  By this time most of
the children had moved to KY, his wife and I expect some of the children
had died.
My ancestor, a son, died in 1847 at about age 90.  He was listed as age 83
on the 1840 KY list of Revolutionary War soldiers.

Any answer to this puzzle would be greatly appreciated.

Joy Watkins
Arlington,  TX