VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2011

From:
Charlie Weaver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Nov 2011 10:58:11 -0400
Have been studying the VPI Virtual Jamestown site, and have
a question or two.
My immigrant ancestor, Samuel WEAVER I arrived in Jamestown
in 1623 aboard the "Bonnie Bess". He is listed in the 1624
muster of Martin's Hundred. However, VJ shows that Martin's 100
was abandoned after the 1622 massacre. I must assume that
Martins 100 was re-established by 1624.
Samuel WEAVER was indentured to William HARWOOD until
1628/9. He then came into possession of land previously owned by
John JACKSON, who may have been killed in the 1622 massacre. It has been
reported that Samuel was married to Ann JACKSON, who was
thought to be the widow of John JACKSON. Since Samuel was
obviously not a wealthy man, a good guess is that he "inherited"
JACKSON's land by marrying Ann [and getting a 20 month-old
step-daughter to boot].
I have not been able to find definitive
info on John JACKSON or Ann, and have pretty well exhausted
places I know to check. Are there any Jamestown/Martin's 100
records to help me clarify this?
Charlie Weaver, Winston-Salem, NC <[log in to unmask]>
336-765-9635