VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2013

From:
Robert Birdsong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 2013 14:46:58 -0600
English law mandated that all adult residents of the English State be members of the Church of England(Anglican). Virginia was an English Colony from its founding until the revolution. English Law prevailed there.  All adult residents of the colony were members of the church by law. Each parish vestry(12 elected members) operated as a defacto local governments, even as courts. The Virginia House of Burgesses and the General Assembly were formed in 1619 and began to legislate and set up courts and other institutions, but they were dominated by the the King, the Kings appointed governor, the governors council and to a great extent legislated in favor of the King, in conformity with the laws of England and the Church.
To answer your question directly the Church appropriated the power to grant guardianship of orphaned children to itself.