VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2009

From:
Jeanine Scholz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeanine Scholz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 2009 16:21:18 -0400
I have a gift deed from Robert Heaton in Burlington Co, NJ to Thomas Sharp,
Soloman Chaffin and Jacob Kemble in Frederick Co. VA in 1788.  Since Robert
lived in Burlington Co. NJ I am assuming that the gift deed was drawn up there
with the witnesses present. However, I am pretty sure that most if not all of
those witnesses were actually in Berkeley Co at the time. Does anyone know
the process, is it possible the witnesss were in VA and not NJ when the deed
was drawn up? Following is the deed:

"Berkeley County, VA Deed Book 9, page 110, 15 April 1788.

Heaton to Sharp Deed Gift: 750 acres.

Know all men  by these  presents that I Robert Heaton of  Wellings Borough,
Burlington County of West Jersey, for and in consideration of the love. good
will, and affection which  I have and bear to my well beloved near relations
Thomas Sharp, Solomon Chaffin and Jacob Kimball of Berkeley County in the
state of Virginia have given, granted, and confirmed and by these presents do
give grant and confirm unto the said Thomas Sharp, Solomon Chaffin and
Jacob Kemble all my right title interest and proprietory claims or demand I now
have or ever had to a certain tract of land lying and being in Berkeley County
in the State of Virginia and is now in the possession of the said Thomas Sharp,
Solomon Chaffin and Jacob Kemble and I do hereby in consideration aforesaid
ratify and confirm the same unto them and their heirs for ever. In witness
thereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this twelth day fo Obtober in
the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and eighty seven.

Robert Heaton LS

Signed Sealed and Delivered in presence of John Champion, Ben Rawlings, John
Sheridan (Shearer?) and Elizabeth Sharp.

At a court held for Berkeley County the 15th Day of April 1788 this deed poll
was passed by the oaths of John Champion, John Sheridan (Shearer?) and
Elizabeth Sharp witnesses thereto and ordered to be recorded.

Moses Hunter Teste."

Any help would be appreciated.

Jeanine Scholz