VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2008

From:
Cyndi Henry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cyndi Henry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 2008 10:12:57 -0400
Cindy,

Actually there are several reasons why someone would report this to a judicial court. One example would be when a man married a woman and then found out she was already expecting a child after they were married. Of course this was kept quite hush, hush in the 1600's. However, if the mother then passed away, or the marriage dissolved [another big no-no] the husband, who had previously given her child his name, but who did not want the child to now be made heir to his estate would, in fact, report the child for bastardy, thus making the child inelligible for any claim on his estate or further support.

In Quaker communities, this would have been an offense through the third generation! The mother, the child, and the child's child would all suffer for the fact. They would be shunned and at times, even cast out from the community.

There are, in fact, several reports of outcasts who were "adopted" by Indian tribes on the Eastern seacoast. However, sadly, most were left to fend for themselves, and did, in fact, perish.

It was, indeed, a harsh New World!

Cyndi Beane Henry
Mountain Genealogists