VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2002

Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 14:01:21 EDT
Am searching for information on a Caldwell gentleman who fought in the War
Between the States and am told that he may have been from in and around the
Craig/Botetourt/Roanoke area of VA. Also, according to information I was
given, he was an ambulance driver and was present at the Battle of
Gettysburg.

A perusal of records contained in "Nothing But Glory -- Pickett's Division at
Gettysburg," by Kathy Georg Harrison & John W. Busey list the following
Caldwells as participants at the Battle of Gettysburg:

Alexander G.
Daniel R.
John B.
Robert T.

Alexander & John B. were members of Company "B" (AKA Craig Rifles), 28th VA
Infantry, CSA. Robert T. was a member of Company "K" (AKA Breckenridge
Infantry), 28th VA Infantry, CSA. This group had ties to Botetourt County.
Daniel R. was in Company "C" (AKA Clifton Greys) of the 11th VA Infantry,
CSA, a group with ties to Campbell County.

Does anyone know which of these men, if any, drove an ambulance at
Gettysburg?

Thank you in advance for any information. I look forward to continuing this
discussion.

Sincerely,

Mike Peters