VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2001

Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 06:44:33 EDT
In a message dated 01-06-06 16:59:21 EDT, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< My Grandfather was a Virginia State Prohibition inspector.  He was killed
 in the line of duty in 1919, at Rosslyn, VA.  He served under State
 Prohibition Commissioner, J. Sidney Peters. Where would his employment
 records be kept?  I am trying to establish his date of birth, which is not
 shown on his death certificate, or in the cemetery records. I also wonder
 if the State would have paid a pension of some kind at that time. Any help
 would be greatly appreciated. >>

Hi Winona,

While I can't help you with your grandfather, I wanted to share an experience
that might be of interest to you.

My brother and his wife from Texas and my wife, daughter and I recently
attended a memorial service in Washington DC  for peace officers killed in
the line of duty.  The service was held at the National Law Enforccement
Officers Memorial   The memorial is much smaller but similar to the VietNam
memorial.  Each year the names of peace officers killed in the line of duty
are incribed on the memorial and the names are read during a candlelight
service.  It was a very impressive ceremony, with over 3000 people attending,
including groups of peace officers from throughout the USA.

What may be of interest to you is that the name of my great grandfather was
added this year.  Our Dallas Hodges was the constable in Gordonville, TX in
1881 when a couple of outlaws rode into town looking for him, then shot and
killed him on main street.

A retired peace officer, and volunteer researcher in Texas, found information
about Dallas Hodges and contacted my brother, who gave him additional
information.  This wonderful gentleman continued his research and forwarded
him name to the organization in Washington.  He also had articles about my
great grandfather published in Dallas and Houston papers.  I never knew my
great grandfather but it was a "tearful moment" to hear his name read during
the ceremony.  There were 313 names added this year.

So, if you would like to explore the possibility of having the name of your
grandfather added, you might contact the organization at the following
addfress:

National Law Officers Memorial Fund
Memorial Visitors Center
605 E Street, N.W.
Washington, DC  20004-2204
Phone: 202-737-3400
Web Site: www.nleomf.com

Jim Hodges
Richmond, VA

ps. They might also have some suggestions for your research.