VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2008

From:
Poldi Tonin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Poldi Tonin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2008 16:31:43 -0600
The Goings were Free Blacks who intermarried with whites. Y-DNA  tests of a
man from our family Goynes, Goings, Guynes has determined the African (not
Portuguese) roots of our family. We are descended from the Goings of
Virginia who migrated after the Revolutionary War to Georgia and then
Mississippi.  Some of the family later migrated to  Texas.

My working theory is that Michael Going the immigrant was from the
Portuguese possession of  Angola, Africa.

Some of the descendants get fanciful ideas relating to the Goings as French
or Portuguese or Indian. It could be that one of the men married a woman of
these descents. It is all in the DNA.

Tree Mother
Decendant of James Goings/Goyne,  Revolutionary War  soldier.

--

"She is insane, of course. The family history has become a mania for her."
Hercule Poirot

http://www.FrontPorchRockerNews.blogspot.com

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Langford
This project includes Lankford spelling also.

"Truth and reason are eternal. They have prevailed. And they will
eternally prevail; however, in times and places they may be overborne
for a while by violence, military, civil, or ecclesiastical."
--Thomas Jefferson Thomas Jefferson, 1810