VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2009

From:
Westview <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 7 Mar 2009 16:20:07 -0500
Another question for the list (I'm just full of them today!):

In the Land Tax records the assessment is given as number of acres -- value per acre -- total value.  My question pertains to the value per acre.  I know that the different values given reflect land in timber, cleared land, land in crops, etc.,  however, I have never seen a list or table showing which value applied to which variable.  Is anyone else familiar with such a list?  As I've had no luck looking on the state level, from what I can tell the values would have been generated on the county level but I can find no mention of anything even close in the Order Books.  They only mention the County Levy (poll tax).  The timeframe I am looking at is late 18th -- early 19th century, but I'd settle for any date at this point.

Thanks!

Kathy