VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2004

From:
Marie McKinney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marie McKinney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 17:06:43 -0500
I would like to thank everyone on the list for their expertise in the
meaning of why a child is or is not mentioned in a will.
I do have more questions that I hope you can help me with.
#1. In the State of Kentucky, my g-grandfather(Charles) died in 1865, and
my g-grandmother(Catharine) died in 1868. Catharine's mother became
gaurdian of the children. However, when my g-grandfather turned age 14 he
was living with his grandmother from his fathers side in another county.
Did a child have a right to choose who he was to live with when he turned
14 years old ?
#2. Was it common for a man to lie about his age if he intended to marry a
widow who was 10 years older than himself ?
#3. Notes from burned counties of Buckingham Co. C.H.:

     The administration of the estate of Joel Watkins by Charles and
Thos. McKinney, Executors of William McKinney who was the Administrator
with the will annexed of Joel Watkins. James L. Watkins who was the ward
of Charles McKinney. ( What does this mean ) ?

Thank you,

Marie