VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2004

Date:
Sun, 29 Feb 2004 19:09:10 -0500
       NARA would be the place to inquire regarding the war
records.  Which branch I do not recall, but several years ago I
went online and ordered the form to get the war reccords of an
ancestor of mine and was rewarded with a photo copy of a letter
his mother had w ritten to the OFFICERS requesting they send him
because she needed him and besides they did not have her
persmission to enlist him because he was not seventeen years at
the time.  This letter was dated Logansville (Ohio) June the 15,
69.  BTW, if they did not send him home she was going to come and
get him!  His name was Thaddeus Cook.  She was Eliza Cook
(Chesher)  This copy of her letter is very precious to us.
At the time I filed for his records, I was told to be sure and
write in at the top I wanted the complete file, or I might only
get his enlistment papers.
I would advise you to go online to NARA and  request the form
which they will mail to you.
I would suggest when you request  the  form that you state where
he served, etc. because I think the records are kept at different
locations.

Ella in Michigan