VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2006

From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2006 12:34:29 EDT
Hello Everyone,

I am a Poindexter and Efford descendant.  I am trying to get a more  exact
quote from "Jersey Sailing Ships" to the following statement I found  online,
regarding the introduction apparently of Jersey cows to the  colonies.  This is
of interest as I am having some "discussion" with  another researcher
interested in Peter Efford/Efford who thinks he was in the  colonies around 1624
(though he'd only have been 13 years old then based on York  Co 1660 deposition and
doesn't appear in any records there until end  1657):

_http://www.jersey.syd-fyn.dk/index.php?page=jersey&id=902_
(http://www.jersey.syd-fyn.dk/index.php?page=jersey&id=902)
"Although early reports of the exports of cattle are few, we do know that  in
1657 George Poingdestre and Peter Effard were sending cows to America in
small numbers.
[Merchants and shipowners and their vessels before 1800 [John  Jean:Jersey
Sailing Ships, chapter 5. 1982]"

I cannot find it in the Library of Virginia catalog, the Library of  Congress
catalog, nor a local Northern Virginia library.    I  could not find a
rootsweb mailing list for the Isle of Jersey, either.  Any  help would be very much
appreciated.

Best Regards,
Janet (Baugh) Hunter