VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2004

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 09:25:25 -0600
There have been so very many questions concerning what will happen to our genealogy files at death, that I have decided to set forth my own form for disposing of such materials.

All should know that I have NOT practiced law for many years, and that the laws of the United States vary from State to State and from time to time in matters of estates.  Further, this is but my Codicil, and your collection may require more diligence and consideration in preparation.

With that in mind, remember that any lawyer can draft such a codicil, and I do suggest that you gain that assistance if you have books, documents, or materials within your files that have considerable monetary value to other than yourself.   So, if you have valuable items that might be considered as within "Mom's genealogy stuff", you could easily create conflicts after your death for those who will appraise your personal property.   Your genealogy files might well include mementos, artifacts, paintings, documents, etc., etc., that should be included within your inventory of personal property owned BECAUSE those have value in the market.

Be sure that any specific mementos, artifacts, letters, and documents that are of some worth in dollars on the market go to specifically named individuals in your will, or give those to your family now.   After that, in disposing of your files and all other materials that have genealogical value, though not much in money, do your own simple codicil.

Follow the form here, and in a few words state as a Preamble generally what files you want to be included.  Again, be SURE that there are no items in those "files and papers" that have recognizable property value.  Be sure to sign it with your witnesses present as you do.
***************

  Codicil to My Last Will and Testament Concerning Genealogy Materials:

  Preamble:  I here mean to dispose of the materials owned or properly in my possession at death that have genealogical value, though have little or no worth on the market as personal property.  My genealogical efforts have required no small measure of thought, time, travel, and money and may be of substantial value to other researchers.  I would ask that my file cabinets, folders, materials in my desk, and any and all my research materials stored elsewhere be gathered together and included in this category.  It is my hope that all such materials might be disposed of in the following manner.

  Following my death, I request that any and all of my genealogical records, both those prepared or written by me, as well as all other family history records which may be in my possession, including all files, notebooks, books, correspondence, copies of documents, and such as computer programs or computer memory devices, remain together and protected for a period for eighteen (18)months or until a recipient is found for such materials, whichever comes first.

  Further, I request that immediate efforts be made by my family to identify one or more persons or institutions who would have knowledge of be willing to take custody of such materials and assume the responsibility of maintaining and perhaps continuing the family histories and research.

  I suggest that the persons be contacted regarding their willingness to assume custody of these materials include:
  (examples) Jim Jones, 100 Elm St., Saint Francis, KY 12345, phone 111-333-9999
             Jane Smith, 250 Money St., Nowhere, TN 98765, phone 222-999-1932
             Etc.
                     Etc.
             Whatever Museum and Archives, Main St., Hanging Limb, TN
             Worthlittle Else College, Lord Knows Where, AL

   Further, in the event no person or organization named here is willing to preserve such genealogical materials, please contact the various genealogical organizations of which I have been a member, there to determine their willingness to accept some or all of these materials.

  (Here list the societies or organizations to be contacted; include local chapters, with their addresses, phone numbers and contacts known to you, if any)

   In witness whereof and before witnesses, I have hereto affixed my name on the ___ day of ____, 200?