VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2000

From:
Jim White <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Nov 2000 13:12:05 -0600
Elaine Acree wrote:

> I have two questions about legal terminology used in some old documents.
>
> 1.  What does "surety" mean in a will?  Example: "John Britt provided
> surety".  This term was used in Isle of Wight probate documents in the
> 1600's.

Usually, this was the bond that the administrator of the estate had to
post to assure his proper handling of the estate.

> 2.  What does "security" mean in a marriage record?  Example: "Jesse Britt
> married Ann Davis, widow.  John Britt sec. (or security).  This term was
> used in Greene County marriage records in the 1700's.

There's a good article at http://www.tngenweb.org/law/bond.htm
Basically, the parties had to post bond that they were eligible to marry
(of age, not presently married, etc.).

--
Jim White

*** Nothing I say is a legal opinion unless that's what you're paying me
for. ***

Home page:  http://www.jeem.net/
Fascination with words:  http://www.jeem.net/wordpage.html
Genealogy books:  http://www.jeem.net/Books.html