VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2000

From:
Sharon Pike <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sharon Pike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Nov 2000 09:38:12 -0500
Susan,
In the Kentucky Historical Society Special Collections, Hughes Papers,
File 97M02, box 10, I found this paper with no notation of who might
have written it. I believe that it was written by Martha Hughes
1818-1905. She was a family genealogist and her mother was a Cox.

"Ewell Shipp married Eveline Bray and his mother was a midwife, who
waited on my mother when her first child was born May 1st 1810 at
Grandpa Cox's near this place. Maj. Bray was a NATURAL child of
Samuel Oldham (before his marriage) who had him educated, and gave him
the farm on which died, near Hundley's Church, and where Miss Nancy
and Newton Bray died. Miss Eliza Bray married Edmund Tiller, brother
of Carter Tiller, the father-in-law of Tommy Williams."

Can anyone identify these folks?  The Hughes lived in Louisville,
Jefferson Co. and Henry Co., Kentucky.

Samuel Oldham married Jane Cunningham and they had a daughter Sarah
who was born May 25, 1772 and died May 24, 1830 in Louisville,
Jefferson Co., Kentucky. Sarah Oldham married William Meriwether
on May 24, 1788 in Jefferson Co., Ky. He was born November 05, 1756
in Goochland Co., Virginia and died June 26, 1814 at the family farm,
near Louisville, Jefferson Co., Kentucky.

Sharon Pike